15 November 2010

The days darken round me


Back to the watercolours for this portrait. I loved painting the skin tones of this chap - lots of very thin washes, building up some rich tones. The shadows were interesting too - very definite cast shadows along with softer 'form' shadows indicating how the planes of the face turn. I wasn't sure about the title - but he looks like he's contemplating something with a certain amount of worry...

Watercolour, quarter sheet (15" by 11"). Reference photo by chilombiano on morguefile.

4 comments:

  1. He does look worried. Makes me wonder about the origins of the reference photo? I bet your portrait would bring a smile to his face. People like empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it would Linda. There's no clue in the ref photo, it's just a head and shoulders shot. But it's the kind of picture that makes you wonder what the subject's thinking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails