29 October 2011

Portrait

Hello again!

Here's another acrylic portrait, painted from a reference photo by the talented babasteve on flickr with the online group of portrait painters I belong to. I was experimenting with colours here - purples and oranges. The photo here is a bit on the dark side, it's a little zingier in real life.


I'm fairly pleased with the way this has turned out. I definitely wasn't looking for cute or realism, was going for something painterly and with a bit of texture, and I had fun with the colours. I'm enjoy painting with acrylics, and I feel there are some nice things going on here. Will be exploring further!

Acrylic on Galeria acrylic paper, 14" by 10"

4 comments:

  1. I love it, Sharon.
    It doesn't do cute or realism - but does suggest the dirt and dust of a third world existence!
    Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pat, that's perfect then! I was looking for something that said more than just 'portrait' (even tho I couldn't find a more imaginative title for the post, lol!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got it. The word portrait suggests having a period of time to capture a likeness. this "portrait" is gives us a glimpse of a person in a moment's time. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda, and that's an interesting point - using a photo ref means that we can capture a fleeting moment in time, in a way that would be near impossible with a more traditionally posed sitter painted from life over a period of time.

    I think I just have to be careful that I don't become a slave to the photo reference, that I bring something of myself, my vision or whatever, to the painting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails